Saturday, August 23, 2014

Breaking Steele

Breaking Steele (A Sarah Steele Thriller) for fans of James Patterson, Janet Evanovich and John Grisham       


Review of Breaking Steele by Aaron Patterson & Ellie Ann


Overview from www.bn.com: Sarah Steele has a lot to prove. Foster care brat turned successful Assistant District Attorney, she's enjoying her magical pumpkin carriage ride but knows she is only one mistake away from landing on the curb. When she's given an open-and-shut case regarding multi-millionaire Hank Williams and his murder of young Tracy Mulligan, Sarah's determined to win. But when everything goes wrong, and there's a killer on the loose, she isn't prepared for who the real battle is against: herself. Is she really willing to do anything to take Hank Williams down?


My Review:



Breaking Steele was my first introduction to what looks to be a new thriller series featuring ADA Sarah Steele, a young twenty something lawyer with a horrible past. Her case against Hank Williams (not the country singer) seems air tight so why are the defendant and his lawyers so jubilant in court?


It turns out that her case is not what it seems. First, she will have to contend with having her DNA evidence thrown out when a crime lab technician is suspected of working while high on drugs. Then there is the strange relationship between the defendant and his daughter.


Of course things just get weirder from there. They always do in these types of stories.


To be clear, this is more of a thriller than a mystery. That disappointed me a little but there were enough mystery elements in the story to keep me reading.


Sarah Steele was also an intriguing character and I think she has all the makings of a great protagonist who could not only successfully carry the series forward but also has potential to grow and change as a women as well as an attorney.


I can’t say that I loved this one. It was worth the read but perhaps not as good as some of the others I have read.


The other thing that I didn’t like about it though was that it looks like the writer might be pulling a James Patterson on us by having someone else write his book. Notice that his name is in big and bold letters but another author, Ellie Ann, is listed in smaller letters underneath. I hope her involvement will help get her name out there though I have my doubts.


I still recommend it but I consider it more of an “I like it” book rather than an “I love it.”


Contains: violence, sexual violence

No comments:

Post a Comment